Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ask Mrs. Preppy Wedding

A reader recently asked me to talk a little more about my experience as a newlywed. So, knowing my love of lists, here are some tips for you soon-to-be married folks:

- Register for items you’re really going to use. We did a pretty good job at this and I’m thankful that we didn’t just ask for kitchen gadgets, but new towels and linens. Let me also add - ask for a Dyson. It will change your life.

- Don’t dwell on the negative. This is a personal mantra for me, but in reality after you’re married, you’ll find the blissful (and stressful) fog of wedding planning lift and you’ll be faced with the realities of day to day life. Just make sure that for every time you say “Could you please pick up your crap” you also throw in a “thank you for taking care of the dogs in the morning so I can get an extra ten minutes of sleep.”

- Go on dates. Mr. Preppy Wedding and I have fallen into the rut that lots of other newlyweds find themselves in. So, unplug your TV and put up Season 2 of the Wire and go out. Like for drinks. You could even put on some make-up and dust off your these make me look really skinny but are very uncomfortable pair of jeans.

- Communicate. Most men are not intuitive creatures. I have found that “if … then” statements help me to effectively illustrate what I need from my husband. For example, “if you’re going to be late coming home for work and I have slaved over this amazing dinner, then you should call me to let me know!” Not that this preppy bride is bitter or anything.

So, dear reader I hope this helps. In addition, I am including something else that you asked for because, I aim to please. Without further ado, here are my best amazing yet simple, impress him with your skills recipes. We normally eat these dishes in heavy rotation on weeknights!

Teriyaki Noodle Bowls
BBQ Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes with Chives
French's Onion Chicken (I usually pair this with in the box stuffing)
Chilo Chili & Rice (Just follow the direction on the packet)
Steak Soup & Sourdough Bread
Pasta Fagioli

And if you want some quick party pleasers (the superbowl is coming up) here are my favs:

Banana Pudding
Easy Knorrs Dip & Pretzel Chips
Microwave Fudge (I want to try this variety and I prefer using the microwave to melt the chocolate - hense the name)
Pimento Cheese & Veggies

So married ladies out there, what is your advice to those brides-to-be?

No comments:

Post a Comment