Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Preppy Rehearsal Dinner

A preppy mother of the groom wrote me the other day with some trouble cementing the theme/look of the rehearsal dinner. Now in my experience the rehearsal dinner is VERY important. It is basically the introduction to your wedding weekend!

Our preppy MOG assisted me with a few facts on the wedding: colors are pink and brown, the invitations had been ordered, and the rehearsal dinner will be held at a restaurant on Lake Michigan! Even more importantly, the wedding is August 24, so there is little time to waste.

My first thought around this rehearsal dinner theme was chic starlight garden party. So, have the restaurant turn down the lights, utilize candlelight wherever possible and make sure to emphasize any views the restaurant has of the lake.

For food, I would just keep it light (it is August after all). Try different cheeses and breads for appetizers and how about some kind of chicken and seafood for the main dish? Dessert could be champagne and strawberries to encourage friends and families to toast the happy couple. I would utilize Michigan wine throughout the dinner to give out of town guests a chance to sample the local best!


I love pink and white peonies for flowers in antique hobnail white vases (scour ebay for different shapes and sizes). If you can, try to fit guests at one long table so that everyone feels like they are part of an intimate dinner celebration.


And I would keep the tablecloths and the dinnerware white, but perhaps use detailed napkins to add a little ummph.


I think it also just as important to develop a schedule and flow to the rehearsal dinner just as you would the wedding. Here’s a little schedule that I think works:


7:00-7:45 - Wine and Cheese Meet and Greet
7:45 -8:00 - Grooms parents welcome everyone and get everyone seated
8:00-9:00 - Food is served
9:00-?? - Champagne and Strawberries delivered to table. MOG begins with first toast. Toasting continues. Groom thanks everyone. Bride and Groom pass out their gifts for the wedding party.


I also think that slide shows are very fun additions to the rehearsal dinner!


Now, here are just a few more hints that our MOG asked about:


  • I think name tags are in order for the rehearsal dinner. Especially since it is the first time relatives from both sides are meeting. Put up a little sign near the tags that asks guests to include their name and fondest memory of the bride/groom.

  • As table markers, I think utilizing pictures of the bride and groom running concurrently through the years are a great idea. Take a look at the example on the story board.

  • As a favor, leave guest with a favorite family recipe or something homemade. I think it continues the whole family affair vibe.

  • For all you MOBs and MOGs out there, Barrie Pace has some beautiful dresses that do not look matronly. My mom wore a great dress to my wedding that suited her to a tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment