Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Preppy Centerpieces

Last week, I got an e-mail from a preppy reader who was looking for ideas for her cocktail reception. Specifically, she wanted some suggestions on table decoration. Because it is a cocktail reception, you want to make sure that the tables (which are not set up for dinner) don’t look empty.

I think the best way to save money and ensure a full looking table lies in duplication. I also love idea of somehow spinning a classic, traditional flower with a unique vase. So - here are a few of my favorite ideas ….

1. I love the idea of mixing these different green flowers and grouping them to create a full, beautiful table arrangement. You may not be able to see this from the picture, but each grouping of flowers is held in coordinating antique glassware (from brides.com).

2. Who doesn’t like presents. Instead of displaying your favors on a separate table, why not kill two birds with one stone and use them as your table display. You can present the favors on stacked cake plates, just make sure to create some signage for guests letting them know that these presents are for them! (from brides.com)


3. I love that this display of ranunuculus is very full and seems to echo the circular shape of the vase. It tricks the eye and makes the arrangement seem more full and rich (from brides.com).


4. OK, so you know I do love a good topiary. Why not use these from Ballard Designs to display. You could even tie some beautiful grossgrain ribbon around them for some preppy overkill! If these are too expensive, just ask your florist to help recreate! The best thing about using topiaries is the ability to then re-display in your new, married home.


5. A good friend used this concept at her wedding. Buy some small planters (Ikea has a great selection at great prices) and fill with small plants that coordinate with your color scheme. Tie a little bow and tag around the bottom of the planter that says something like, “Our love has bloomed this day - 6.8.07.” Then guests can leave with their own little significant favor that can continue to grow in their homes (from brides.com).


6. This design mimics what I chose for my wedding. My husband and I both love the look of antique mason jars and after one lucky yard sale, we had enough to use for vases at our wedding. I love the casual feel, but also the subtle way it conjures a southern feel (from brides.com).


7. Martha suggests using tea containers as a quirky way to incorporate color into your table arrangements. I think this looks especially nice with bright colors, don’t you?



I hope everyone is doing well this Tuesday. We had a great time in Columbia and the preppy lil sis is officially starting down the road to being a grownup.

We did have a little scare while we were gone. Dempsey dog had a seizure and after lots of tests, he seems to have developed pancreatitis. The lil guy is hanging in there, but he’s on some meds and it’s so hard to not know exactly what’s going on!

I’m also still working on a redesign of the site. Please let me know if you have suggestions for me, questions for me, or if there is something you don’t like about the new format!

No comments:

Post a Comment