Friday, August 10, 2007

Preppy Wedding Out-of-Town Gift Baskets

One of my readers, Mary Buford from Richmond asked for me to help her with some guidance for out-town-gift bags. Let me preface this by saying, they certainly aren’t a necessity, but I do think they are a great way to set the tone for your wedding (start your theme/brand) and they are a special way for you to thank guests for braving land, air or sea to attend your special celebration. Spend as little or much as you want.

So I put together an essentials list for you.

1. First, you gotta have something to hold all of your goodies. I personally like doing a gift bag over a basket (why, cause it is cheaper). I like papersource (as shown) because you can coordinate colors for your enclosure note. I also think namemaker has some cute bags you can personalize on the front. If you want to save some money, copy me, I bought these toile bags in bulk from ebay. Everyone loved them and they were very inexpensive.

2. Then you have to thank your guests. If you’re going to give a gift, make sure you personalize the thought that comes with it, right? I know it’s time consuming, but take this opportunity to include a special memory of the guest or to heartily welcome them to the biggest party you’ll ever throw. I like this coordinating gift tag.

3. Morning After Magic. Travel sized packets of Advil are perfect ways to ease the morning after headaches of guests that did what you wanted them to do - had some fun! The husband and I always do a little cheer when we see these in guest bags, although we sometimes fight over them the next morning.

4. Hydration. You don’t have to plaster it with your monogram (while it’s perfectly ok to do so), just give guests something to drink as they get ready/recover from your wedding. Diet coke, local sodas (cheerwine is always smiled upon in NC, Sundrop in VA) are also perfectly acceptable.

5. Something to nibble on. You can give guests anything you want - monogrammed chocolate, candy, nabs, chips, they’ll eat it. I think this is also a good time to bring in your location. If your hometown is known for pickles, then give guests some local flavor!

6. Bring in your theme. Beach weddings lend themselves to flip flops. Spring weddings scream for a packet of seeds. Fall weddings love staples like apple butter, cider or a guide to your local foliage. Winter weddings scream for hand warmers and coco. Whatever theme that is driving your wedding, use it. Bring in your colors and your taste to impress guests and get them excited about the wedding.

7. Information is key. The best thing you can do for a guest from out-of-town is to give them the insider’s guide to your wedding locale. Include maps (like the one shown or make it yourself here) or put together a brochure in word (customize with your graphics/colors). Tell guests where to eat, what to do and how to get around town. Don’t overwhelm with options, just offer three of your favorites.

Hope this information helps you brides-to-be and I hope you all like the new redesign. I’m still tinkering with some things here and there, so more surprises await.

The husband and I have a wedding this weekend (the last of the summer - yeah) and I just found out a fabulous friend from college just got engaged - Congrats Kelly. So excitement all the way around. I hope you all have fantastic weekends - stay out of the heat all you southerners!

UPDATE: Here's a picture of the brochure we used. E-mail me if you want the template in word!

No comments:

Post a Comment