Friday, August 3, 2007

The Preppy Yellow Picnic Wedding

Hello everybody. I have a super fun storyboard for you today. One of my lovely readers, Laurie, wanted some inspiration on planning a fun yellow (and navy) inspired affair for her wedding on the Cape next summer. I had a lot of fun with this board and since yellow is my new favorite color, I almost want to start all over again with my wedding and integrate these golden hues (ALMOST, because I am not a crazy woman and the parent’s wedding fund has been depleted).

Where to begin? I think yellow with navy accents should be the mainstay of your chic, preppy wedding. Think a really sophisticated picnic. Do a buffet style reception filled with grown-up picnic staples like carving/sandwich stations (with all the condiment fixins), a create your own potato/pasta salad bar, and of course you gotta use spiked lemonades as your signature drink.



I’m thinking this wedding would be a fabulous afternoon celebration, you could even spread lush yellow gingham blankets on grassy areas near the water and encourage guests to get their picnic on. Make sure you don’t forget lawn games like bocce ball and horseshoes. And sack races are always a good time, especially after a few beers.

For flowers, I love incorporating lemons into the arrangements. Try using glass vases filled with lemons on some tables and alternating with arrangements featuring lemons. I really like this basket weave cake that echoes the picnic sensibility. I really love these letterpress invitations. Just customize in yellow and navy and you’re in business.

For attire, I love this Thread eyelet wedding dress. And J. Crew provides awesome inspiration for the guys ties and the gals dresses. And for attendant gifts, try these cufflinks and these Turq pearl necklaces complimented with gold ribbons!

Hmmm. What’s left? Favors. I think you should leave guests with these fun picnic baskets filled with your grandmother’s homemade brownies, some Cape Cod potato chips and of course some lemonade to go! Don’t forget to customize the basket with a personalized label!

UPDATE: This wedding from the Knot also provides some great inspiration for you yellow inspired brides-to-be!

No comments:

Post a Comment